Who can stay at IH?

Any student studying a tertiary degree or bridging program at any tertiary institution in Brisbane. Our philosophy is to have an appropriate mix of Australian and international students to create a vibrant cross-cultural community.

Can I live at IH if I study at another University other than UQ?

We accept students studying at all universities including UQ, QUT, Griffith University, ACU, and English training colleges.

Are there any religious affiliations within IH?

No, we are not linked to any particular religion or religious organisation. We accept people of all faiths and beliefs.

Can I visit IH in person?

Yes, we welcome visits at IH. Book a tour online or come and visit IH during UQ’s open day. Can’t make it in person? View our video tour instead.

My English is not very good? Do you have bi-lingual staff?

We have Chinese-Malay and Japanese speaking staff who will be able to assist with your enquiries. Alternatively, email us any time using our Contact form. 

How close is IH to public transport?

IH is within walking distance of two bus stations (Chancellors Place and UQ Lakes), the UQ and Guyatt Park CityCat Terminals, and a number of e-mobility hubs where you can hire an e-bike or e-scooter. The closest train station is Toowong Station, which is a quick bus ride away.

When can I apply?

We accept applications throughout the year and operate on a first-come, first-served basis. If you have decided to study in Brisbane then we recommend applying as soon as possible to avoid missing out.

I don’t have my University offer yet – can I still apply?

Yes! You can submit your application online at any time to get started

What documents do I need to supply?

  • All students will need to provide a copy of their academic transcript.
  • International students will need to supply a Confirmation of Enrolment or Unconditional Offer letter and a valid student visa.

How will I know if my application is successful?

You will receive an email from IH once your application has been assessed.

Do I need to pay a deposit?

Yes. A deposit of $3,000 is required to accept your offer at IH. This amount will be subtracted from your first payment.

Can I tour IH before I apply?

Absolutely! You and your parents are encouraged to tour the facilities, meet current residents and talk with our staff.

When do I have to pay my fees?

Full payment of semester fees is due four weeks prior to accommodation commencement.

Why do I need to sign an agreement?

The agreement is an understanding between yourself and International House that you will pay your fees and abide by the terms and conditions of living in a college community.

What if I want to cancel my agreement after arriving?

If you are considering cancelling your agreement we would encourage you to speak with the Deputy Director in the first instance. A cancellation charge will apply.

Do you provide a shuttle service from Brisbane Airport?

An airport reception service is available for international students arriving in Australia for the first time. Please visit your University website for further information. Note that International House does not offer this service directly.

How early can I arrive at IH before O Week?

— Early Arrival is not available for 2024 —

We allow new international residents (Semester 1 only) to join us at IH up to 3 days before the start of O Week. While no catering is provided during this time, there are local supermarkets and eateries at the University and nearby in surrounding areas, as well as kitchen facilities in each Tower.

It can be a bit quiet when you first arrive as most residents will come in on the Sunday. Just relax, unpack and catch up on sleep! Our Student Club team will help with all of the essentials during O Week.

What is O Week?

O Week or Orientation Week is a week of pre-organised activities to ease you into college and University life. You will be given tours of the University, shown where to get your student card, catch a bus and visit some cool places around Brisbane. The O Week program is developed to help you make new friends and find other Housies with similar interests to you.

Will I make friends?

The best part about college is that everyone is in the same situation. For most of you, this will be the first time leaving home and in some cases, the first time living in another country. College spirit develops quickly and easily through organised sporting, cross-cultural, academic and social activities. Many residents say becoming a “Housie” was the best decision they ever made.

Do I need to buy a college gown for formal dinners?

No. International House does not require you to dress in college gowns. Instead, we encourage our residents to dress in their national dress or smart casual attire.  Formal dinners are held with different themes throughout the year.

What happens if a resident gets sick?

Residents are encouraged to take responsibility for their own health and wellbeing. Medical, dental and counselling services are available on the UQ campus. When residents are too ill to organise medical assistance for themselves, IH can book an appointment at the local medical provider. If they are too unwell to travel, an ambulance may be called. There is no charge for an ambulance call or a trip to the hospital. Senior Residents and Senior staff have first aid training.

How does IH manage intoxicated or offensive behaviour?

As a condition of occupancy, residents are required to comply with both the ‘Resident Code of Conduct’ and ‘Alcohol Policy’. These policies ensure community standards of behaviour are observed at all times.

Is there a gym onsite?

IH has the benefit of being on the University of Queensland campus and all that it has to offer. The UQ Gym facilities include weights and cardio rooms, group fitness classes, 3 heated pools, tennis courts, athletics running track and more. Memberships can be purchased directly from UQ Sport with specials usually available for sign up during the first 2 weeks of Semester.  The University campus is also bordered by picturesque walking and cycling tracks that can be enjoyed at any time.

What size are the rooms?

Average room size for a single room is 12 square metres, which is the largest average room size of all colleges.

Do I get my own room?

Yes. All rooms at IH are single rooms. No sharing and plenty of privacy!

Can I request a specific room?

IH allocates rooms each year based on gender and nationality to ensure a mix of residents within each tower.  If you have medical needs or disabilities, discuss these with IH at the time of your application.

What if I don’t like my room?

If another room is available you may be able to move subject to a room change fee. Returning residents can request a room change at the end of the year free of charge.

What is included in the room?

All furniture, bed linen and a built-in wardrobe. You will need to bring your own towels and toiletries.

My friends and family want to visit, can they stay in my room?

Occasionally friends and family may like to stay overnight when they visit. IH can supply an overnight pack for a small charge which includes an inflatable mattress, sheets, pillow, towel and one meal voucher per night. There is a three-night maximum stay for guests. Note visitors (including parents) are not permitted to stay prior to or during O-Week.

Are meals included in the fees?

The fees for Fully Catered rooms include all meals –  Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner 7 days per week. Packed lunches and dinners are available for residents who have classes during meal times. The Self-Catered agreement does not include meals but residents are invited to formal dinners (or Bara Khana’s) throughout the year.

What if I have special dietary needs?

We offer vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and lactose-free options where possible. Our chef supervisor will meet with you at the beginning of the semester to discuss your dietary requirements and how to best cater to your needs. For severe allergies and special medical needs, advise our office at the time of enrolment.

Are the meals at IH Halal?

We are not halal-certified but offer vegetarian/vegan and pork free options at every meal.

I have classes during meal times, what do I do?

You can order a packed lunch or late dinner from our kitchen staff. Meals will be made fresh and stored in secure refrigerators for you to collect when you return from classes.

Can I stay at IH during the June/July vacation break?

If you have signed a full-year agreement (February – November) this includes the June/July break. You can relax while meals and room service continues. If your agreement has ended, you may be able to extend your stay subject to availability.

Can I stay at IH after my agreement ends in November?

Unfortunately IH cannot offer accommodation after the end of your agreement. We use this time to undertake renovations, room maintenance and deep cleaning.

Can I leave my things at IH over the Christmas break?

IH provides free storage for residents returning to college the following year. Residents can store up to three boxes (or a combination of boxes and suitcases) for a period determined by IH. Items are packed into crates and stored securely offsite. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have insurance to cover any loss or damage to your personal belongings. Personal belongings cannot be left in rooms or common areas.

Residents who are leaving college and not returning must take all of their belongings with them at the end of their agreement period.